Focus on Vocabulary 2: Mastering the Academic Word List is a research-based vocabulary textbook that gives
high-intermediate to advanced students the advantage they need to succeed in academic environments. Through excerpts
from college texts and well-crafted exercises, English learners study the Academic Word List – the most frequently used
words in academic texts. To help students reach a fuller understanding of the new vocabulary, each chapter provides a
series of exercises on word meanings, word families, and collocation.
* Seven units focus on a variety of subject areas, such as social change, consumer behavior, natural resources, and
* Each main chapter carefully recycles the target words four times in reading passages and vocabulary-building
* NEW! Reading Strategies are designed to give students the tools they need to better comprehend the materials they
read. Activities include recognizing an author’s point of view and synthesizing information from multiple readings.
* The collocations exercises – based on the 179-million-word New Longman Corpus – reflect how academic words are
actually used in real contexts.
* Expanding the Topic sections provide additional reading, discussion, and writing activities that broaden students’
understanding of vocabulary.
* Strategy Practice chapters offer tips for dictionary usage, information about word roots and affixes, and methods for
expanding students’ word knowledge.