Northstar, now in its third edition, motivates students to
succeed in their academic as well as personal language goals. For
each of the five levels, the two strands – Reading and Writing
and Listening and Speaking – provide a fully integrated approach
for students and teachers.
What is Special about the Third Edition?
* New Themes and Updated Content – presented in a variety of
genres and in authentic materials – challenge and engage students
* Enhanced Focus on Academic Skills, more purposeful integration
of critical thinking, and an enhanced focus on academic skills
such as inferencing, synthesizing, notetaking, and test taking
help students develop strategies for success in the classroom and
on standardized tests.
* A new, fully integrated writing section leads students through
the writing process with engaging writing assignments focusing on
various rhetorical modes.
* A New Design with full color pages, more photos,
illustrations, and graphic organizers fosters student engagement
and makes the content come alive.
NorthStar is now available with MyNorthStarLab – an easy-to-use,
powerful online program for students and teachers that saves time
and improves test scores.
* Students receive personalized instruction and practice in all
four skills. Audio, video, and test preparation are all in one
place – available anywhere, anytime.
* Teachers can take advantage of many resources including online
assessments, a flexible gradebook, and tools for monitoring
* Unlimited access to reading and audio selections, DVD segments,
as well as original activities that support and extend the
* A unit-by-unit guide including overviews, suggested times,
step-by-step teaching suggestions, expansion and homework
activities, and links to the companion strand and to
* Detailed multi-level strategies and activities so instructors
can reach students at different proficiency levels
* The Student Book Answer Key and unit word lists for easy
* Reproducible Unit Achievement Tests to save time and allow
teachers to evaluate students’ progress